Sunday, February 17, 2013

Introduction and Passeggiata

My greatest love is, and will always be my wonderful wife Marion – until my last breath.  But a little over 25 years ago I began another great love affair - with a country across the Atlantic – Italy. 

It’s a place where the senses truly come alive – a place where life seems to slow down just enough so that you really feel like you’re living!  With each visit I have found something new to love, something new to learn – and I’ve always left, with a reminder that it’s some of the simple things in life that really make it worth living.

As family and friends have come to learn, I’m always willing and eager to assist with travel suggestions.  I also take great pleasure in sharing some of my wonderful experiences – some of the things I’ve learned.  So although my blog – “Let’s Make Sense” is all about personal finance and investing, I hope you don’t mind, if every once in a while I digress by Speaking of Italy.


An Evening Stroll

During the early evening hours and before dinner, many Italians go for a walk - “andare a fare una passeggiata.”  Couples - young and old, families and friends take to the sidewalks (and streets) of places like Rome, Orvieto and Cortona for a pleasant stroll.  La passeggiata (the walk) is one of the great Italian traditions – very different from what you might expect here in our country if you were going for a walk.  

For a few hours each day (weather permitting) everything seems to slow down - no one’s in a rush or in a hurry to get somewhere else – just taking some time for an evening stroll.  Young couples walk hand-in-hand, friends take some time to catch-up, seniors passionately discuss politics - it’s as if they’re celebrating the end of another day!  A little later – it’s enjoying time with family and friends over dinner – and some great wine! 

Today there are far too many things that demand our attention – too many distractions – too many things that occupy our time.  La passeggiata reminds me that some of life’s greatest pleasures can be simple – so simple that they often slip under the radar.   So if, and when, you have one of those days (good or bad) – do as the Italians do!  Take your sweetheart by the hand; call a friend, brother or sister and celebrate – andare a fare una passeggiata!

No comments:

Post a Comment